AQUA VELVA

A Salute to 108 Henry Street.

Name:
Location: NOVA, HELL

I mostly walk around in 80's Hair Band tee-shirts with sleeves cut off. I found this goes well with my mustache and black Jordache jeans. I also drive a late-model mini van.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

See you in Hell, Burish!

Former W&L president and bane of Aqua Vela resigns like the true son-of-a-bitch coward that he is.

July 21, 2005

Dear Members of the Washington and Lee Community,

I have informed the Board of Trustees today that I have
accepted the position of Provost at the University of Notre Dame.
Despite the attraction of returning to Notre Dame to assume what for
me is a dream position, the decision to accept this offer was the
most difficult of my life. Building upon a cherished foundation,
Washington and Lee is poised for an even more distinguished future,
and Pam and I will miss being part of that progress.

Notre Dame is my alma mater. It aspires to be both a great
academic institution and a great Catholic institution. This latter
attribute, being a Catholic institution, is why I went there as an
undergraduate, and is a major reason I am now drawn back to it. The
challenge of wrapping together this faith-based heritage while
further strengthening its academic excellence is a rare opportunity
and, for me, a special dream. I did not anticipate this opportunity
or seek it, but am excited by it and am grateful for it.

None of this, however, makes it easy to leave for either Pam
or me. We have made a home here, and after only a few years some of
our most treasured friends are here. The faculty, staff, and
students-individuals with whom we interact on a daily basis-are
people we admire and enjoy. Rector Norwood and the trustees have
been extraordinary in their leadership and oversight roles, and have
been very supportive. The alumni and alumnae are uncommonly
committed, generous, and involved. The debates and discussions we
have had over the future of the University have been candid and
rewarding, and led to much progress. Pam and I will continue to
serve Washington and Lee in whatever ways we can during the
transition to a new President. I know the University will continue
to prosper and grow in the future while retaining those qualities
that make it so special.

While Pam and I will physically be leaving Lexington, part
of us shall always remain at Washington and Lee. We are forever
grateful to you for your friendship and support, and shall always be
among the University's most loyal advocates. It has been one of the
greatest honors of my life to have been the President of Washington
and Lee.




Sincerely yours,

Tom

Fare the well, asshole! Aqua Velva 1, Burish 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home